13 Family Fun Summer Activities You Can Do In Your Own Yard
First, it’s been a while since I participated in Thursday Thirteen; like since February. My life was crazy [still is] and I kept forgetting it was Thursday until late Thursday evening. Plus I was running out of ideas. Cause I’m lame like that. But I’m getting back on the horse and giving it a go again.
So for my comeback tour I am not only giving you thirteen ideas for outdoor activities this summer, but I created my own banner. I even drew that little guy [who is supposed to look a tad bit like Spencer] with my own hand and colored it in my very first attempt at coloring in Photoshop. [This is where you are supposed to ooohh and awww].
1. Lay down a blanket in the backyard and go star gazing.
2. Get a campfire going [Smokey the Bear says, "Be Safe"] and make smores.
3. Take a camping trip….in the backyard. Pitch a tent, drag out your sleeping bags and tell ghost stories.
4. Make popsicles. And eat them outdoors.
5. Make bubbles and chase after them through the yard. Sure buying pre-made bubbles at the store isn’t that expensive, but what’s the fun in that?
6. Make your own sidewalk chalk. Skyler & Spencer made sidewalk chalk at their end-of-the-year party in Kindergarten. It was really easy and the kids had a blast coloring on the sidewalk with their very own chalk.
7. Help your kids become entrepreneurs with a lemonade stand. Find a good recipe for lemonade, set up a table and have the kids make signs.
8. Gather up some lilies, floating plants and some fish and create your own backyard water garden.
9. Use your homemade sidewalk chalk to create a hopscotch pattern and play a game of hopscotch. Kids love to watch their parents topple over as they try to pick up the rock [or coin or whatever you're using as your marker].
10. Buy some hula hoops [they're cheap] and have a hula hoop competition. Who can keep their hula hoop up the longest? Who can keep it swinging around their arm? Their leg? Their head?!?
11. Throw on your helmets and knee pads and go biking together.
12. Have a water balloon war. But we forewarned that filling up the balloons takes a heck of a lot longer than the actual battle.
13. Gather the family in the yard for a shaving cream fight. And when you’re done jump in the pool to clean off.
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. Itâ€™s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
Read my previous Thursday Thirteens.
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants